My neighbor Allison showed me this amazing recipe from the edible perspective. The chocolate buckwheat bake is described as being moist, dense but not overly so, chewy, slightly crunchy, slightly sweet, and with mellow cocoa. When I first read the nutrition facts, I thought this was too good to be true! See below for yourself:
Tonight, Allison made this for dessert and it was delicious! I definitely recommend eating this for breakfast as it has a good amount of fiber, iron, protein and healthy fats to jump start your day. I copied and pasted the recipe below from the webpage.
Chocolate Buckwheat Bake [serves 1]
- 1/4c ground raw buckwheat flour [grind raw groats into powder]
- 1T raw buckwheat groats
- 1T chia seeds
- 1 flax egg [1T ground flax meal + 2.5T warm water, whisked] or 1 egg white
- 1/2 banana
- 2T unsweetened almond milk
- 1T maple syrup
- 1T cocoa powder
- 1/2t cinnamon
- 1.5t vanilla extract
- 1/4t almond extract
- 1/4t baking powder
- coconut butter
- coco-nut almond butter
- Love Grown Foods cocoa goodness granola
- Whisk flax egg and let sit for 5min.
- In a bowl mash the banana until egg-like.
- Whisk in milk, vanilla, almond extract and maple syrup.
- Mix in buckwheat flour, groats, chia seeds, cinnamon, cocoa powder, + baking powder until well combined.
- Mix in flax egg until combined.
- Grease a microwave safe bowl, or dessert cup. I used a dab of coconut oil on my finger to grease.
- Cover with a paper towel and microwave about 1min30sec – 1min45sec.
- Eat out of the bowl with toppings, or flip out of the bowl onto a plate, top + scarf!